Friday

Super My Foot

No, this is not an article about how my left foot has received super powers in the mail, nor by irradiation, nor by a spider bite. My left foot cannot fly, nor run really fast, nor stop bullets with its mind. Just forget about my foot. I should have gone with my original idea, which was, "Super My Ass," but I guess that leads to a whole different set of problems.

This is about Super Glue. I should append a trademark symbol there. Super Glue is decidedly less super than advertised. It's hard to use and it makes it very easy to stick things together by accident, but works fairly poorly when it comes to sticking things together on purpose. If they called it what it is, which is a fairly narrow-purpose glue which does certain things fairly well, then it wouldn't even come up.

How much credence do you give to PR? Because you should probably give less. I believe things I shouldn't, and undoubtedly so does everyone else on the planet. But Super Glue is simply one straw in the haystack of products that mislead, either intentionally or because the advertising was just too good. I'm not sure where to draw the line between those two categories.

Part of it, of course, is the fact that people don't read directions. It's amazing what you learn about products when you read the fine print. But frankly, the directions and fine print could stand to be a little more readable. If there's an important piece of information, it shouldn't be buried in the legal agreement.

But Super Glue isn't terribly useful, and it's really hard to get over the nervousness concerning the fact that Super Glue can stick your skin to just about anything permanently. Which is why I use epoxy. Only kidding.

No comments: