Friday

And On Into June

Well, now comes to obligatory statement: it is not really June here. It's a filthy lie concocted by the Liberal Media and the John Birch Society together to make you think it's earlier in the year than it is.

I wish I could say that it really was the John Birchers combined with Liberal Media Moguls. Because that would be interesting. And if there's one thing I've learned, through the five months I've written, it is that my views are patently uninteresting.

The lesson, of course, is that they have just as much of a right to be on the Internet as any other views. There are a lot of people, cynics mostly, Internet snobs probably, and a general grab-bag of nastiness definitely, who will be perfectly willing to tell you, in tones which imply a great deal of importance (usually self-, but that's something they fail to see) that the Internet is full of stupid people who write about junk that no one wants to hear. They are probably right, and they certainly go a long way toward proving that assertion by being stupid people who write about junk that no one wants to hear themselves.

But you know what? No one is making them read things they don't like. At least, I assume that no one is. If they're so sick and tired of the Internet, they can take their ball and go home. Because it's true; most things on the Internet are stupid wastes of space to most people.

All you can really hope for is that what you write on here isn't a stupid waste of space to someone. And we see through the self-deprecation of people who secretly believe themselves to be Internet Gods but who realize that they probably aren't, and if they make themselves out to be they will look foolish, so they make jokes about themselves. Me, I'm not an Internet God, and I probably never will be because I don't like the place enough to stick around to gather followers.

So whether you read this or not, I'm not worried (well, maybe a little), because if I'm being narcissistic, I'm in good company.

No comments: