Monday

I Had No Idea

Apparently, e/n is what I am. That's slightly depressing because I always thought that e/n meant something having to do with one's inner emotional life or something like that. But it turns out that it just means that what you're writing is only important to you.

Yep. Well I guess that's it then. I should change the title to "Nobody Cares About My E/N Crap."

Okay, not really. I'm writing this because I have a problem with the epithet. Basically, anything which isn't a reprint of information already available elsewhere is e/n by a vague definition. Someone's opinions aren't important, really, to anyone but them, and pretty much anything other than the above reprints are opinion-based if not driven. I guess something which is simply fiction, or an amusing story of real life, isn't opinion per se, and if you happen to be one of the lucky few people clued in enough to to the news world to be able to scoop others, then I guess exclusive news isn't opinion either.

But by a broad definition, most humorists are e/n. Humorous essays expressing an opinion - why would anyone want to read that? In fact, the case could be made that to any given individual, things are divided up into two groups: e/n and interesting reading. Obviously if you don't care about someone's views, they don't matter to you, and therefore, from your point of view, those selfsame views are meaningless to anyone except the writer.

It's a bullshit term which, like many other words, has come to mean something which is pretty much meaningless. E/N, I excommunicate thee, I excommunicate thee, I excommunicate thee! It's going in the bin with all the other forum garbage.

Plus, the title already says that nobody cares. And if I don't even care (the definition of nobody hasn't been excepted in the title, at any rate), then I can't possibly be everything/nothing. More like just nothing.

No comments: