Monday

Following the News

It was never my intention in beginning this blog to be a mere reactionary force, as some blogs are. I don't want to post links to news stories and then comment on them. That's not terribly interesting even if millions of other blogs weren't already doing it. But I am going to make an exception.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6265997.stm

You really need to read the story, but since I also hate when bloggers post a link and say nothing about it, I'll give you the gist. A woman is about to give birth to a baby arising from a frozen embryo which was among those rescued from Hurricane Katrina in 2005. That's my first issue. This is news? Woman gives birth! Whoopee!

My second issue is with the fact that police boats rescued these embryos. I am not going to get into "life begins at conception;" whether or not these embryos were alive, it seems to me that police had better things to do in the aftermath of Katrina than rescue frozen embryos, which doctors weren't sure would be alive anyway. But it's a minor point; I wasn't there, so I can't say for certain whether or not the police had better things to do. I'm glad the people whose embryos these were are going to be able to have those kids they wanted. I guess. I'm also not going to talk about my feelings on the number of children people think they need to have. The focuses of the article already have one. Enough said from the cynic.

Now, the crux of the matter.

"We haven't even picked out a name yet," Mrs Markham said. They have ruled out Katrina, but Mr Markham's choices include Duke and Nitro.

"Nitro could be liquid nitrogen, because that's what saved him," he said. "For a girl, I like Breeze."

No! Or rather, what?! Jesus, these people shouldn't be allowed to have children. And of course it's the father who wants to name his son Duke or Nitro. Duke is a title, or the name of a dog. No one should be allowed to name their child Duke, and if you are named Duke and you disagree, you're wrong and your parents should be ashamed of themselves. Nitro? I won't even justify that with comment. It's tempered somewhat by the fact that it's topical, but on the other hand, topical names suck. I would be willing to forgive it if it weren't for the fact that you want to name your child Duke. That's much worse.

Breeze. Can't compete with Duke or Nitro. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't go with Duke or Nitro for a boy, Duque or Nytroe for a girl. These people should not be allowed to name their child, and possibly should not be allowed to ever see it again.

And those are my views about which nobody cares.

No comments: