Friday

Let's Get Physical

Am I the only person who likes to own objects? Maybe I am, because it seems like I'm going the way of the dinosaur. Or perhaps I should say that the things I want to pay perfectly good money for are going the way of the dinosaur.

Take music. I like to own things I pay for, and I like to have a physical object there to remind me. Yes, I know objects take up space, but CDs are really not that large. I don't like the idea of renting music from a service which can cut me off at any time; that's why I buy CDs and why I continue to do so even though it seems like I'm the only one.

Or how about books. I like books a lot, and what's more, I like being able to take them anywhere. I can't do that with my computer, so if all my books become digital, I'll be out of luck. Magazines too. I can't take my computer into the bathroom with me. So pretty soon I guess, the only time I'll be able to read anything is on a computer, and I can't afford to keep buying laptops.

I can't say that I'm all that thrilled about reading things on the computer either. One, it's bad for the eyes because of the screen. Don't tell me it's not. They don't warn you to stop reading and take a break every hour when you're reading a book, but you shouldn't spend your life looking at a screen. Not healthy. Two, there's the whole portability issue, plus the fact that for a lot of so-called online content, you're not purchasing, you're renting. I don't want to rent a book; I want to own it. And finally, three, the type on most web pages is too damn small. I'm not blind, but sometimes I wonder.

So why can't I continue to receive magazines and newspapers in the mail? Why can't I buy books? Why can't I listen to music that I actually physically own? I know it kills some trees, but frankly, so do many things. I want a physical object as part of my ownership, damn it. Why does everything have to go online?

No comments: