Thursday

Disconnect

The holy grail of technology at the moment seems to be to make sure that everyone is connected to the Internet and phone at all times no matter what.

Well you know what, call me a Luddite if you want, but I'm not interested. Every time I'm out of the house it's like I'm on a magical vacation from work, from my life, from whatever. No one can reach me. Sometimes, it's true, I wish I could reach people, but not usually the other way around. And I definitely don't want to be able to surf the Web (okay, the implications of that phrase just this second hit me, so I'm going to have to break off and write it down for later... okay, done) anywhere.

Why do we always need to be connected? Why do I have to have a phone that's not just a phone but an Internet-capable portable computer as well? I won't even get started on the fact that phones are not only phones anymore; that's a topic for discussion at some other time or not at all. But why is connection so wonderful?

Sure, being able to access information is nice. But when do you stop? When does work stop, when do your obligations to communicate with people stop? You know what? I let phones ring. A lot, in fact. Partially because it's never for me, but partially because I don't want to talk right then. Why should we rush for the phone? If it's an emergency, keep calling.

When the communications laws in this country protect connectivity at the expense of privacy or enjoyment, I think we've gone too far. And they do, don't think they don't. Cellphone blockers? Illegal, even in restaurants and movie theaters. I find few things more annoying than having to listen to people talk on the phone, and why the hell should I have to when I'm watching a movie or eating dinner? Or, for that matter, why can't you just put it away for a while?

Disconnect me, thank you. If I never was able to use the Internet again in exchange, it would be a steep price, because I like the Internet just fine. But I might be willing to pay it nonetheless.

No comments: