Thursday

Ready To Serve

It's on obligation of all candidates for office, whether they be running for president or class clown, to say that they are, "ready to serve," whenever the opportunity presents itself. I mean that "whenever the opportunity presents itself" mostly because they'll say it anywhere, any time. But in some cases, as in the Vice President, "the opportunity presenting itself" not only refers to an apropos time to say one is ready to serve, but also the fact that a Vice President isn't called on to serve, really, unless an opportunity presents itself.

Who, as the saying, goes, is kidding whom? I don't think I'd vote for a candidate who said, in answer to an interviewer's question, "Well Bob, I'm not ready to be President. If the President died and I was next in line, I'd freak the hell out and run around screaming. I shouldn't be one heartbeat away from the Presidency." But let's face it, a lot of Vice Presidential candidates would probably have done just that, if called upon to do anything other than go to funerals and break infrequent ties in the Senate.

I guess I'm asking whether or not we want a Vice President who's so gung-ho about being prepared. That's like saying, "I'm prepared for the worst to happen," with a big smile on your face. Sure, we want a Vice President who wouldn't make a lousy President, but historically, that's not what Vice Presidents are. They aren't backup, really. They have a very hard time being elected President in their own rights, even after they become President when the worst does happen.

Preparedness is a virtue. Being prepared for the worst doesn't make you expect the worst, but it makes you better off if or when the worst happens. But maybe readiness to serve, or lead, or whatever they're ready for, isn't as important as how they would lead, or serve, or whatever. Would you vote for someone whose sole qualification was preparedness? I wouldn't. That's reactive. I want active leaders.

Not that I'm saying that being ready to serve is a bad thing. It's just not the only thing. And that goes for Presidents, Vice Presidents, and class clowns.

No comments: