Sunday

System Shock

I've probably commented on this before. Some people, no names, no blame (well, actually, a lot of blame, but I'll be nice) seem to feel that it's always too cold. And for some reason, they are the ones who get to control the temperature.

Now I'm sure there are a lot of people out there (okay, not a lot, since no one reads this, but humor me, oh imaginary reading public) who are aghast. "Why, I do think it's always too cold, but I'm never in control of the temperature! This guy is crazy, or possibly just a jerk!"

Okay, so we'll agree to disagree. I just haven't heard any major news stories about how people complain that, during the winter, the heat is always turned up too high. On the other hand, I just heard a major news story about the air conditioners in offices being set too low. So maybe there's a bias in the news media. Or maybe we're all convinced the other guy has it in for us.

See, the thing is, we shouldn't do either. Turn up the heat or turn up the AC, I mean. Environmentally, making sure the thermostat is set reasonably year-round is a good thing. It's also a good thing for our health. And yes, going from a cool environment to a hot one is just as bad as the other way around. No, I will not cite sources. Maybe I'm wrong. Please prove me wrong. But extreme variations in temperature, in whatever direction, are bad for the body. Prove me wrong.

Ah, but all people who like one extreme over the other, we argue in favor of this when it suits our needs. We say, "Oh, but keeping the house too cold in the summer leads to problems," or, "Oh, but keeping the house too warm in the winter leads to problems," but we don't say the same thing in opposition. For instance, you lovers of heat, you people who argue that air conditioners are evil and cost too much and are environmentally bad, what temperature do you set the thermostat during the winter? If you said, "Well... um... 103° on cold days," then you, respectfully, are full of crap. Likewise, if you want the heat turned completely off on all but the coldest days, at what point does the AC become "too cold?" If you said, "When my fingers and toes become frosty," see above.

No, I'm not arguing that we should turn off both heat and air conditioning. I just think we should keep things moderate. I happen to like cold, but I'm willing to turn the heat up a little if, in exchange, we can turn up the air in the summer a little. Or maybe, to be more economically and environmentally sound, we can turn both down. But no one seems to think this way. Because the heat and the AC are not running simultaneously, we only think of our sector of the year, and when your sector comes around, we want you to turn it down. And you feel the same way.

Eh, screw that "middle way" crap. The other guy is wrong, plain and simple. That's the attitude that's given us the world in which we live today. Hooray for self-centered behavior.

However, if my bedroom isn't cool, I can't sleep. And if my workplace is hot, I fall asleep. Explain that. I can't.

No comments: